Hammer toes can be very painful and without proper care, can become a stressful daily predicament. Find out more on how to identify hammer toe, what cures it, how hammer toe insoles help as well as which insoles are the best to purchase for hammer toes.
Hammer Toe Explained: Causes, Symptoms & Cures
Hammer Toe (also known as Claw Toe) is a painful condition in which one or more of the toes bend downwards. The afflicted toe(s) become very stiff, becoming difficult to move. The second toe is the most commonly affected toe and can often form calluses or corns in the joints. The primary cause of hammer toes is due to wearing constricting footwear, such as ill-fitting shoes or very pointed high heels.
Symptoms of having Claw Toe include:
- Toe Stiffness.
- Swollen Toe Joints.
- Toes Overlapping One Another.
- Pain In Toes While Walking or Standing.
- Toe Deformities.
Hammer toes often sort themselves out in a few months after the cause of the problem has been addressed, such as changing your shoes for ones that fit better. In the interim, orthotic insoles, toe stretches, toe splints, and anti-inflammatory ointments can be implemented to help cope with the pain.
How Insoles for Hammer Toes Help You To Cope
Since Hammer Toe is not a condition that simply goes away with a quick fix, it is crucial to accommodate it in the meantime while it heals. The easiest way to do this is by getting a pair of insoles for hammer toe as well as better fitting shoes and an ointment that reduces inflammation.
Insoles for Hammer Toes often work to correct the posture of your feet and the alignment of your toes. This comes with a few great benefits, such as:
- Pain Relief – In many cases, a good pair of orthotic insoles for hammer toe will lessen the pain of walking or standing on your feet.
- Pressure Distribution – Insoles for hammer toe work to distribute all the pressure applied to the feet evenly. This minimizes impacts, softens landings and prevents other painful foot conditions from occurring as a result of your hammer toe (like plantar fasciitis).
- Comfort – Insoles make a world of difference in terms of comfort. They also usually give your feet enough space to reside happily, ensuring that you can’t use them in shoes which don’t fit you (which were likely the cause of the problem in the first place!).
- Increased Mobility – Wearing insoles for hammertoes will allow you to move around better.
Best Features of Insoles For Hammer Toes
The more desirable features of insoles for hammer toe are as follows:
- Perfect Arch Support – What perfect arch support means will vary from person to person, according to your foot type. For flat feet, very mild arch support is necessary. For high arches, steep arch support (1 to 3 inches) is ideal.
- Adaptive Cushioning – Adaptive cushioning is very comfortable and will keep your entire foot padded, reducing pain. Memory foam and cork are some of the best types of cushioning, adapting to the unique shape of your feet.
- Raised Heel Cups – A slight heel lift is ideal for those with hammer toe, as it helps to keep your toes straight.
- Metatarsal Support – Metatarsal support usually comes in the form of a ridge that lifts and slightly separates the toes from one another. This takes the pressure off the toes and ball of foot area.
- A Toe Strap – Many foot doctors will recommend using a toe splint or brace to align the hammer toe. Some insoles have included a toe strap for this very purpose, giving a great 2-in-1 effect. Just remember to be gentle with your claw toes. Mild stretches and toe exercises may be needed first before a toe strap can be implemented.
Reviews: Top Insoles for Hammer Toes
The best insoles for hammer toes have been reviewed below. Click the ones that apply to you to add them to your shopping cart!
- These metatarsal pad insoles come with a toe strap to help align hammer toes and help to speed recovery.
- They are made from a soft and spongy foam material which will conform to the shape of your forefoot and support your toes.
- These inserts can be worn on top of other orthotic insoles to give maximum support and comfort to those with claw toes.
- The toe strap is made from a soft stretch fabric and is fully adjustable so that you do not further damage your toes.
- Protect your hammer toes now and watch them come right in the next month or two!
- These insoles are made from a luxuriously thick layer of memory foam, which provides an exact contour of your foot’s shape.
- Give your toes the most comfortable support that they ache for and allow them to sink right into these orthotic insoles.
- The underside of the insoles is made from latex, keeping your feet firmly planted inside your shoes.
- The heel provides excellent padding, forming a thick cushion which will help to keep feet aligned and distribute pressure evenly along the foot.
- Appropriate for supporting all foot types with claw toes, from flat feet to high arched feet.
- These insoles were designed for men’s work boots and shoes who need to fend off fatigue and support their feet 24/7.
- The adaptive arch support will conform to any foot type and helps to alleviate pressure over the whole foot including the toes.
- The undersides of the insoles have a beehive design, which effectively returns energy and prevents excessive pressure on your toes.
- The cover wicks moisture away very quickly, preventing friction, blisters, and infections which can worsen hammer toe.
- Protect your toes all day long while working in extreme outdoor conditions with these anti-fatigue insoles!
- These insoles are a favorite for a wide variety of foot conditions, including hammer toe, plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis.
- The deep heel cup and heel lift help to take the pressure off the feet while keeping them in perfect alignment.
- Mild arch support makes these insoles ideal for those with flat feet or medium arches.
- The low profile design makes these perfect for any shoe you want to wear them in, while still being thick enough to protect your toes from harm.
- The semi-rigid support allows your toes to retain a good alignment and thus effectively reduces hammer toe pain.
- These insoles provide 2-in-1 protection for both the feet as a whole and your toes, using a dual layer system of support.
- The top layer is contoured to help all foot types with balance and support, while also providing a metatarsal lift for your sensitive toes.
- The bottom layer is made from sturdy cork which will conform to the shape of your feet over time and provide perfect arch support.
- These insoles will last you for years to come and help to prevent future foot conditions even after you have healed your hammer toes!
- Can be worn in any shoes (except sandals or open shoes), including athletic shoes, boots and dress shoes.
Comparison Table: Best Hammer Toe Insoles
|1||VIVEsole Unisex Toe Pad Insoles - Hammer Toe Insole Pads with Strap||VIVEsole||95|
|2||WHX Unisex Soft Orthotic Insoles - Soft Memory Foam Insoles for Hammer Toe||WHX||97|
|3||Timberland PRO Men's Anti-Fatigue Insoles - Fatigue Fighting Hammer Toe Insoles||Timberland PRO||98|
|4||Powerstep Pinnacle's Orthotic Insoles - Hammer Toe Foot Alignment Insoles||Powerstep||97|
|5||Birkenstock Unisex Cork Orthotic Insoles - Metatarsale Support Insoles for Hammer Toe||Birkenstock||98|
Table of Contents
- Hammer Toe Explained: Causes, Symptoms & Cures
- How Insoles for Hammer Toes Help You To Cope
- Best Features of Insoles For Hammer Toes
- Reviews: Top Insoles for Hammer Toes
- VIVEsole Unisex Toe Pad Insoles Hammer Toe Insole Pads with Strap
- WHX Unisex Soft Orthotic Insoles Soft Memory Foam Insoles for Hammer Toe
- Timberland PRO Men's Anti-Fatigue Insoles Fatigue Fighting Hammer Toe Insoles
- Powerstep Pinnacle's Orthotic Insoles Hammer Toe Foot Alignment Insoles
- Birkenstock Unisex Cork Orthotic Insoles Metatarsale Support Insoles for Hammer Toe
- Comparison Table: Best Hammer Toe Insoles