A heel spur is an intensely painful condition to find yourself with and can make standing entirely unbearable! To help those in need, this article will discuss a few means of heel spur pain relief, what causes heel spurs to occur, as well as some of the best heel spur foot orthopedics to aid walking.
What is a Heel Spur and How Are They Caused?
A heel spur is a hard calcium or another kind of deposit that is embedded at any point of the heel. Usually, they sit wedged between the tendon that spans the length of the foot and the heel bone. When one walks on a heel spur, it presses in hard and jabs the foot further, which is why it is almost always incredibly painful.
The number one cause of heel spurs is plantar fasciitis. This is when the feet become tired out, and the tendon of the foot is pulled, swollen or tender. After a long time of having plantar fasciitis, the foot becomes increasingly swollen and the inflammation eventually crusts over into calcium deposits (or heel spurs). Remember, inflammation in the body means that the area of concern is swollen with a fluid to try remedy the situation. A heel spur is the body’s way of letting you know that you certainly overdid it on your overtired feet!
What Can I Do To Help My Heel Spur Pain?
There are a few things one can do to ease the pain in the interim, but usually, a heel spur will go away with time if one rests their feet. If the heel spur has not left you after an extended period of time, you should consult a medical practitioner!
In the meantime, here are a few suggestions:
- Arnica Gel – Arnica is renowned all over the globe for its fantastic ability for reducing swelling and inflammation. When used in cooling arnica gels, it also blocks a few pain receptors. However, it does not solve the problem as with painkillers in general.
- Gentle Feet Stretches – if possible, try to flex your feet gently on a daily basis to help blood to circulate the painful area. This can help your body to remove by-products from the heel and arches of the feet more quickly.
- Heel Spur Insoles – the best interim solution, especially if you have a demanding job that requires you to stand all day, is a pair of orthopedic insoles to cushion those heels! In serious cases, you will need custom made orthotic insoles especially for you. It is recommended not to buy any old pair over the counter – we have devised a tried and trusted selection down below.
What Features Should A Heel Spur Insole Have?
How does one know what to look for in the ideal heel spur insole? Here is a list of some of the best pain relieving features of heel spur insoles that you can bet will help the problem.
- Raised Heel Cup – the most important feature is a raised, protective heel cup. Without this, it will hurt no matter what. Some insoles have deep heel cups, which will also do the trick as long as there is enough padding between your heel and the ground. A thick heel cup confers the best protection against pressure on your feet as you walk.
- Foot Contouring Insoles – an insole that helps to alleviate plantar fasciitis or tired feet will also help you with your heel spur. Shoe inserts that mold to the exact shape of your feet is the best for alleviating heel spur or plantar fasciitis pain. They also add a boost to your step and make walking easier in general. Memory foam, cork, leather, and cedarwood are naturally able to take on the shape of your feet.
- Shock Pads – shock pads in the heels of the feet will redistribute any impact away from the heels, which will help you to feel less pain when walking on them.
- Flat or Raised Arches – it’s important to know what foot type you have, or this purchase may go horribly wrong! Flat arches need a flat insole, whereas medium ones need a neutral insole. If you have very high arches, look for a very raised heel cup with a deep arch contour. Otherwise, you may need custom orthopedics made for you.
- Pronation Control – Pronation is the movement or rolling motion that the foot makes when we take a step. The heel is actively involved in pronation, and a heel spur can sabotage the way in which we walk, which can cause even more damage. Insoles that control for pronation should fit your feet snugly and not allow for them to slip or slide in the shoe.
Reviews: Best Heel Spur Insoles
Here below are some of the best heel spur insoles that will surely help to alleviate pain in the feet while standing.
- These cork insoles are manufactured by one of the leading cork insole brands in the world, Birkenstock.
- Made to cushion the heel from heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, high impact and much more.
- These insoles are completely natural and will protect the heel from shock by redistributing pressure from them.
- Cork is naturally arch adaptive and foot protective, molding to the exact shape of your arches and heel.
- Low impact metatarsal support helps for those who also suffer from ball of foot pain or aching in the entire foot.
- These heel spur insoles are 100% hypoallergenic, naturally breathable and will keep your feet dry and feel fresh all day long.
- These insoles from VIVE Sole are made to counteract the forces which induce plantar fasciitis as well as heel spurs on the feet.
- Designed with your feet in mind, these insoles have been improved upon by leading podiatrists from the US.
- Not only for heel spur support and pain alleviation, these insoles will also keep your entire feet free from feeling fatigued.
- The top layer is anti-microbial and will allow your feet to breathe without sweating excessively.
- The heel and forefoot regions are protected from shock with additional shock absorption pads.
- Take full advantage of the 60-day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with these insoles.
- These inserts are designed by podiatrists with one vision in mind: to help those with flat feet to walk without experiencing pain from plantar fasciitis or heel spurs!
- The raised heel bed will cushion your heels, while still holding your feet in place and not slipping around in your shoes.
- These insoles can help you to control pronation when you walk, which is a common issue for those with flat feet.
- Made from foam, the heel spur insoles are inclined to adapt to the shape of your feet precisely and can work for those with medium or neutral arches too.
- Made in the USA.
- New Balance continues to top our orthopaedic insole list with these supportive cushioning insoles.
- The heel cup is deep enough to help control for pronation while still maintaining an appropriate distance between your feet and the ground.
- Feel the pressure lift off your heels and arches thanks to the molded arch support embedded in these inserts.
- Perfect for aiding those with medium arches to fight off plantar fasciitis, heels spurs, bunions and more!
- As the name suggests, even your balance and the way you pronate will improve with these superior pain relief orthotics.
- This is one of the most cost-effective solutions to aiding heel spurs and pain in the heels.
- This shoe insert is a singular heel cup, designed to lift the heel up and transfer any pressure away from the heel.
- A gel shock pad sits at the base, further helping the force generated when we walk to be lifted away from the heel.
- Cushion your feet until they start to feel fit for standing on their own again!
- This heel spur cup is non-toxic, hypoallergenic and made without any strange or chemical odors.
- Not suitable for high heels.
Comparison Table: Top Heel Spur Insoles
|1||Birkenstock Unisex Natural Heel Spur Insoles - Premium Cork Heel Cups for Sore Heels||Birkenstock||98|
|2||VIVE Sole Unisex Arch Support Insoles - Protective Insoles for Heel Spur Pain Relief||VIVE Sole||96|
|3||Samurai Insoles Unisex Flat Feet Insoles - Heel Spur Insoles for Flat Feet||Samurai Insoles||97|
|4||New Balance Unisex Cushioning Heel Spur Insoles - Protective Deep Heel Insoles for Sore Feet||New Balance||97|
|5||Gamesalor Unisex Comfort Heel Cup - Protective Heel Cup for Heel Spurs||Gamesalor||91|
Table of Contents
- What is a Heel Spur and How Are They Caused?
- What Can I Do To Help My Heel Spur Pain?
- What Features Should A Heel Spur Insole Have?
- Reviews: Best Heel Spur Insoles
- Birkenstock Unisex Natural Heel Spur Insoles Premium Cork Heel Cups for Sore Heels
- VIVE Sole Unisex Arch Support Insoles Protective Insoles for Heel Spur Pain Relief
- Samurai Insoles Unisex Flat Feet Insoles Heel Spur Insoles for Flat Feet
- New Balance Unisex Cushioning Heel Spur Insoles Protective Deep Heel Insoles for Sore Feet
- Gamesalor Unisex Comfort Heel Cup Protective Heel Cup for Heel Spurs
- Comparison Table: Top Heel Spur Insoles