Wide feet can easily become a source of discomfort and difficulty when trying to find footwear.
Luckily today there are many options in wider width footwear to cater for everyone’s needs. Along with a wide width shoe, you may likewise need a comfortable insole, and this is where we come in.
Some Causes of Wide Feet
There are a number of factors that can contribute to feet being or becoming wide, all which can include genetics, the shoes you wear, as well as body changes throughout your lifetime.
Here are a few of the major cause of a wider foot;
- Genetics – The most simple and common answer why some of us have larger or wider feet is basically because we are born with it. Wide feet are not always a bad thing, they improve your balance and athletic abilities, and are similarly an ideal when swimming or sprinting.
Flat Feet – Likewise associated with genetics, a flat foot can develop into a wider foot as you get older. As your arch is flatter, your feet may become wider over time.
Pregnancy – Pregnancy hormones such as relaxin allow your joints to loosen which in turn stretches the ligaments around your feet, similarly, the increase in weight causes more weight on your feet, resulting in a flatter and wider foot. Unfortunately, afterward your feet may not return to their normal shape and size, and you may be left with a wider and larger foot than before.
Inappropriate Shoes – Constantly wearing shoes that are too tight and small can cause your feet to swell and become wider, as well as causing health issues and deformities in the future.
A Few Shoe Tips When it Comes to Wide Feet
There are a few helpful tips that you can follow if you have a wide foot;
- Flat Shoes – They may not be as flattering as heels but with a wider foot, a flat shoe is your best friend.Higher heels increase pressure on the widest part of your foot, causing swelling and rubbing on the sides of your shoes. This improves the chances of the bones of your feet becoming deformed and forming bunions and other bone deformities.So I would suggest that you try to do most of your walking and activities in training shoes or flats, keep your heels for special occasions and the office, when it is absolutely necessary. There are plenty of stunning flat shoes that you can wear for work and more formal occasions.
Make The Most Of Sandals – Summertime is sandal time, and this is the season where your feet and toes can roam free. Make the most of this by wearing sandals that are less restrictive, with fewer straps. If I could give good advice to all your wide feet’s, Birkenstocks are an absolute must, they offer a comfortable and wide fit.
Shoe Materials – Because most wide feet have a flatter arch, go for footwear that offers soft cushioning and good shock absorption materials. Then, of course, the uppers need to be SOFT and SUPPLE allowing the shoe to stretch.
Best Insole Types for Wide Feet
First and foremost it is important to find an insole in a wide or extra wide fit according to what you require, thereafter you can look for features such as;
- Arch Support.
- Shock absorbing.
- Top layer that reduces heat and friction.
- Anti—Microbial treatment on the top layer.
- Materials such as EVA, gel, Memory foam, Polyurethane, and Pplatazote.
Reviews: Top Rated Insole Brands for Wider Feet
We have researched some of the best available insoles that cater specifically for a wider foot shape;
The Powerstep Wide fit is a full shoe insert that will offer you excellent support and comfort, and maximum pain relief. Ideal for a wider foot in full length.
- Features VCT variable cushioning technology with EVA outer foam in two layers for firmer arch support and better shock absorption.
- A deep heel cup stabilizes your heel and protects it from injuries.
- The anti-microbial top fabric layer reduces heat and friction while helping to prevent foot odor and bacteria from developing.
- A full-length size with a maximum cushioned comfort in a wider fit.
A wider width insole that will offer you the best arch support, the Sorbothane Ultra plus is ideal to use in athletic shoes for running, and high impact sports.
- The ideal insole for running, walking, hiking, high impact sports, working on your feet all day, as well as for aerobic exercises and much more.
- Manufactured from lightweight composite fibres with maximum arch support.
- On top, there is an anti-microbial, moisture-wicking lining to prevent odor and keep your feet dry.
- The extra Sorbothane shock protection technology reduces pressure on the heels and ball of the foot.
- A molded heel cup provides even more stability and better support.
- A wider fit for a wider foot type.
New Balance is a name we all know when it comes to sports and athletic gear. The new Balance Wide insoles offer the best support and comfort features in a wider width insole, ideal for a wider shoe.
- A motion control insole that improves stability, and comfort.
- Manufactured with an external heel stabilizer and molded arch support, as well as a separate heel and forefoot cushioning system.
- Provides excellent cushioned comfort, arch support, and shock absorption.
- The metatarsal pad aids in relieving pain in the ball of the foot.
- An anti-friction top layer to help keep blisters away.
For anyone with painful foot conditions or a condition such as diabetes or arthritis that affect your feet and lower limbs, these insoles are absolutely impeccable!
The Prothotic Pressure relief insoles are naturally wider in size because they are orthotic inserts meant for foot conditions which require a wider fit.
- A comfortable and supportive metatarsal rise to aid in preventing over-pronation, which is likely in individuals with a wide and flat foot.
- The soft, and self-molding Platazote will react to the heat of your body and the pressure of your feet, enabling pressure point relief and pain relief.
- A polyurethane bottom layer offers durable longevity and better resilience.
- Ideal for prevention of diabetic ulcers, plantar fasciitis and other foot related conditions and sensitivities.
The Superfeet Green is an extra wide width insole, which is perfect for high arch support in an extra wide width shoe.
- An extra wide width insole for extra wide width shoes.
- Manufactured from 100% polyester fiber that is high quality and durable.
- Offers high arch support in a wider width.
- Fits most width size 3E up to 6E footwear.
- Aids in relieving foot pain, arch pain, heel pain, and plantar fasciitis pain.
- Closed-Cell foam that supports the feet to provide lasting comfort and cushioning.
Easy trim to fit insoles from Copper Compression that offer you the ideal adjustability fitting design.
- Copper-infused insoles for flat and wider feet.
- Prevents heel pain and foot fatigue.
- The trim to fit option allows you a wider and adjustable fit.
- A deep supportive heel cup and shock absorbing cushioning.
- Contoured for more stable arch support.
A wide and flat-arched foot may need pronation control, as these foot types tend to overpronate, therefore I would recommend the Happy Step Orthotic Insole.
- Made from soft and supportive memory foam with good cushioning and arch support features.
- A heel cup for stability and pronation control.
- Perforated foam for better ventilation.
- Inbuilt carbon filtration system to wick away moisture and odors.
From Native Planet we have the Comsole rigid arch support insoles offering a wider fit option.
- The Coolmax technology top layer cools your feet and wicks away moisture.
- Anti-fatigue energy-returning cushioning.
- The trim to fit option gives you a wider width fit.
- Pressure relief zones and a rigid Nylon arch support.
In The End
Wearing the correct size and width insoles to match your feet is very crucial in order to receive the full benefits and functions of such an insole.
As you can see from our list these are some excellent insoles when it comes to comfort and support that will ideally fit a wider shoe.
Index Table: The Best Available Wide Width Insoles
|1||Powerstep Unisex Widefit - Full Length Wide Width Insole||Powerstep||98|
|2||Sorbothane Unisex Ultra Plus - Arch Supportive Wide Insole||Sorbothane||96|
|3||New Balance Unisex Pain Relief - Wide Width Insoles||New Balance||97|
|4||Prothotic Unisex Pressure Relief - Orthotic Wide Insoles||Prothotic||98|
|5||Superfeet Unisex GREEN - High Arch Insole for Wide Feet||Superfeet||95|
|6||Copper Compression Unisex Wide Width Insoles - Copper Infused Insoles for Joint pain; Arch Relief||Copper Compression||97|
|7||Happystep Unisex Orthotic Insoles - Wide Width Insoles for Pronation Control||Happystep||97|
|8||Native Planet Unisex COMSOLE - Brooks Replacement Insole All Shoe Types||Native Planet||97|
Please Rate This Article:
Table of Contents
- Some Causes of Wide Feet
- A Few Shoe Tips When it Comes to Wide Feet
- Best Insole Types for Wide Feet
- Reviews: Top Rated Insole Brands for Wider Feet
- Powerstep Unisex Widefit Full Length Wide Width Insole
- Sorbothane Unisex Ultra Plus Arch Supportive Wide Insole
- New Balance Unisex Pain Relief Wide Width Insoles
- Prothotic Unisex Pressure Relief Orthotic Wide Insoles
- Superfeet Unisex GREEN High Arch Insole for Wide Feet
- Copper Compression Unisex Wide Width Insoles Copper Infused Insoles for Joint pain; Arch Relief
- Happystep Unisex Orthotic Insoles Wide Width Insoles for Pronation Control
- Native Planet Unisex COMSOLE Brooks Replacement Insole All Shoe Types
- In The End
- Index Table: The Best Available Wide Width Insoles