Shin splint pain can be a significant setback, especially if you are a professional runner. Find out what you can do to help treat your shin splints and how to prevent them from occurring in the future with the best insoles for shin splints.
Shin Splints: Causes and Symptoms
Shin splints are very painful to acquire, presenting the following symptoms:
- Tenderness, swelling or pain in or on either side of the shin bone.
- Displacement of the shin bone, eg: it’s sticking out a little more than usual.
The top three causes of shin splints are:
- Over extending your running distance – pushing yourself further than your body can manage, especially on high impact terrains like tarred roads can give you shin splints.
- Changing your running terrain – sand dunes are much more difficult to run on than an ordinary road, as there is much less resistance. Similarly, running at different altitudes and in different climates can produce shin splints if one is not careful.
- Wearing incorrect footgear – the wrong footwear tends to be too soft and encourages excessive pronation, which is devastating for your running game. This can lead to more serious problems, including bunions, heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis and more!
Shin Splint Remedies and Runner Precautions
The first line of action upon getting a shin splint is to stop running, rest your leg, apply an ice pack and the necessary compression, as well as keep it elevated and comfortable. Rest is the best-known remedy. However, there are a few things you can do to help prevent the occurrence of shin splints.
- Build Yourself Up Slowly – do not over exert yourself or make goals that are too ambitious. Keep your speeds and distances at a containable minimum until you are certain you can run more. When you increase, do not make giant leaps and bounds!
- Wear the Right Foot Gear – specialized running shoes, coupled with insoles for controlling pronation will help you to keep being a champion. The right foot gear will give your feet the best support possible and help you lift off from the ground easier, stressing out your feet less.
- Do Calf Muscle Exercises – by strengthening your calf muscles, you can ensure that your risk of inducing shin splints is minimized the most. Keep your shins healthy and make sure you stretch before and after your exercise.
Vital Features of the Best Insoles for Shin Splints
The best insoles for your running shoes will help you to prevent getting shin splints, as well as minimizing your chance of incurring an injury while running. Some of the best athletic insole features include:
- Thickness – the thicker the insole is, the more shock it will absorb. The best insoles tend to be thicker than one expects, made from foam and lightweight.
- Shock Absorption – insoles made with synthetic padding or layers tend to be very good at absorbing shock. When we run, our feet endure a lot of shock due to the high impact force made when our feet contact the ground. Shock absorbers minimize the force directed at our feet.
- Adaptive Arch Technology – we all have different feet types. Adaptive Arch Technology allows for your feet to functioning optimally, adapting with the arch of your foot as you run. It also generally means that no matter what type of foot type you are, from flat feet to high arches, adaptive arches can accommodate you.
- Metatarsal Separation – by having an insole lift up your toes and separate your big toes slightly from the rest of your toes, you direct force away from the ball of your foot. This can help to protect your foot from pain as well as your legs from shin splints.
Reviews: Best Insoles for Shin Splints
Have a look at our best selection of athletic insoles for shin splints and other foot conditions.
Amazon Reviews of People Getting Relief from Shin Splints Using These Insoles.
- These insoles will help to improve your athletic performance for running or playing sports.
- Prevent your chance of shin splints, plantar fasciitis, foot pains and more with these shock-absorbent insoles.
- The low arches of this insoles make the insole ideal for those with medium to low arches.
- These insoles will not slip, provided you choose the correct size for your running shoes.
- Made from a sturdy synthetic base which will last a long time and help to control pronation.
Amazon Reviews of People Getting Relief from Shin Splints Using These Insoles.
- These insoles were designed using a neutral arch, making them ideal for flat feet all the way up to medium arches.
- These insoles were made by podiatrists to support your feet optimally and can be used all day long for athletic or work-related activities.
- Made from memory foam, they provide an exact match to your arches while still being firm enough to protect your feet.
- These shoe inserts will help keep your feet in place, providing an anti-slip support.
- Control the way your foot pronates with these shock-absorbent insoles.
- Ideal for individuals with flat feet who would like to avoid shin splints, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, heel spurs and foot pain in general.
- This synthetic insole is made from high density foam that has been shaped to cushion your foot in the most comfortable way possible.
- Ideal for medium to low arching feet, this insole will help to keep your foot in place inside your shoe.
- The shock pads in the base ensure that your feet endure less of an impact and help to direct pressure off the feet.
- The top fabric layer is breathable, allowing your feet to sweat less and breathe more.
- Control overpronation and reduce the risk of sport-related injury on your runs!
- Another excellent Shock Doctor insole, these insoles are made from a specialised shock resistant foam.
- The lightweight insole protects the foot completely from impact, proving full control overpronation.
- Prevent yourself from jarring your bones or incurring shin splints.
- Adaptive Arch Technology ensures that the insole has always got a firm grip on your foot, perfectly in sync with your arches.
- Suitable for those with low to medium arches.
- The top layer is made from an Air/FX layer, making it more ventilated than an average insole.
- These insoles are made from high density foam and contoured especially to support your feet.
- Free your feet from enduring overpronation, foot strain, shin splints or sports injuries with these insoles.
- The heel cups of these insoles are ergonomically contoured to provide maximum heel support.
- This insole is ideal for low to medium arches but is not recommended for those with flat feet.
- The foam base is ventilated to ensure there is no excess moisture and to allow your feet to breath.
- These insoles are perfect for protecting your feet on long runs, being durable and shock resistant.
- The thick padding under the heels and the metatarsal lift ensure maximum force is distributed away from the foot.
- Fully equipped with adaptive arch technology, these insoles will fit well on low to medium foot arches.
- The base is ventilated to ensure there is no excess moisture inside your shoes when you run.
- Lightweight and shaped for optimal comfort, purchase these insoles to take your athletic game to the next level.
Comparison Table: Top Insoles for Shin Splints
|1||Superfeet Unisex Athletic Performance Insoles - Foot Protection Insoles for Avoiding Shin Splints||Superfeet||98|
|2||Samurai Insoles Unisex Flat Feet Insoles - Insoles for Flat Foot Shin Splint Support||Samurai Insoles||97|
|3||New Balance Unisex Soft Comfort Insoles - Foot Cushioning Insoles for Shin Splints||New Balance||97|
|4||Shock Doctor Unisex Lightweight Running Insoles - Runners Insoles for Shin Splint Foot Protection||Shock Doctor||95|
|5||Dr. Foot Unisex Insoles for Sports - Anti-Shin Splint Insoles for Athletes||Dr. Foot||94|
|6||Shock Doctor Unisex Foot Protection Inserts - Shoe Inserts for Preventing Shin Splints||Shock Doctor||92|
Table of Contents
- Shin Splints: Causes and Symptoms
- Shin Splint Remedies and Runner Precautions
- Vital Features of the Best Insoles for Shin Splints
- Reviews: Best Insoles for Shin Splints
- Superfeet Unisex Athletic Performance Insoles Foot Protection Insoles for Avoiding Shin Splints
- Samurai Insoles Unisex Flat Feet Insoles Insoles for Flat Foot Shin Splint Support
- New Balance Unisex Soft Comfort Insoles Foot Cushioning Insoles for Shin Splints
- Shock Doctor Unisex Lightweight Running Insoles Runners Insoles for Shin Splint Foot Protection
- Dr. Foot Unisex Insoles for Sports Anti-Shin Splint Insoles for Athletes
- Shock Doctor Unisex Foot Protection Inserts Shoe Inserts for Preventing Shin Splints
- Comparison Table: Top Insoles for Shin Splints