High arches in the feet are not as common as having flat feet, but they can be just as painful on a daily basis. To prevent further discomfort or complications associated with high arched feet, continue to read about the causes of high arches, the best mode of pain relief and treatment, as well as learning what the best form of high arch foot support is.
What Causes a High Foot Arch?
A high arched foot (also known as Cavus Foot or Pes Cavus) is a condition in which the arch of the foot forms too high. Having high arches puts excessive amounts of pressure on the ball of the foot and the heel of the foot. High arches also pull on their own, causing plantar fasciitis and other painful conditions. In the majority of those with high arches, they inherited the high arches genetically from their parents or grandparents. In hereditary cases of Cavus Feet, the way the bone structure of the feet forms causes the condition and is often easily diagnosed at an early age.
One can develop high arches from a number of causes too, however. Neurological disorders and other such medical conditions can result in Cavus Foot, whereby the . Examples of such conditions include:
- Spina Bifida
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Cerebral Palsy
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease
- Parkinson’s Disease
High Arch Foot Pain Relief and Treatment
If your high arches have developed from a medical condition, they are likely to worsen with time. There is no absolute known cure for having high foot arches. There are a couple of measures one can take to prevent the condition from worsening and to provide pain alleviation.
- Weight Loss – the less pressure applied to feet with high arches, the better. If you are overweight with Cavus Foot, you should consider losing weight to help ease the load on your feet.
- Orthotics – Foot orthotics are essential for those with high arches to help for stability, comfort and cushioning. If you have very severe high arches, it is advised that you see a podiatrist for custom foot orthotics, otherwise, have a look at our selection of premium high arched orthotics below!
- Physical Therapy – a physiotherapist can aid in helping your motor coordination, foot alignment, and balance when walking on high arched feet. This can help if you have troubles in these areas with cavus feet.
- The Right Foot Wear – most factory made footwear will not cater to high arches. Make sure your footwear is comfortable with the right amount of padding or replace the factory insoles of the shoes with better-suited ones.
- Surgery – corrective foot surgery may be recommended by your foot specialist for high arches, depending on what the cause of your high arch is. If you battle to walk on your feet, this may be a necessary option to compensate for the weaknesses in your feet. In many cases, this is not always a possible option.
The Best Insole Features for High Arches
Here are some of the best-known features of high arch foot orthotics:
- Thick Cushioning – those with high feet arches need a thick cushioned insole to help ease any pressure on the heel and ball of the foot. A thick cushion provides more comfort and often more stability.
- Deep Heel Cup – a deep heel cup provides a better arch contour for those with cavus foot. It also helps for pronation and motion control, allowing you to step with greater ease, increased balance, and less pain.
- Adaptable Arch Technology – an adaptable arch is beneficial for all foot types, entirely able to warp and move with your exact arch shape. Since high arches tend to vary in shape and size often, an adaptable arch is far likely to take on your unique shape and provide you with the foot support you need.
- Shock Absorption – the less pressure on those high arches, the less frequent pain you will feel. It’s a good idea to have shock pads on the underside of your high arch insoles to prevent any jarring movements from harming your sensitive feet. Some shock absorption offers energy return, giving you a boost when you walk.
- Multiple Layers – usually an insole with a dual or tri-layer will provide the best comfort for your feet. A firm, stable bottom layer, made from high-density foam or latex, topped with a softer, mouldable top layer works the best.
Reviews: Top Insoles for High Arches
If you have high arches or know somebody who could use the additional support, take a look at our selection below!
- Superfeet pride themselves in making a top range of orthotic insoles that keep feet comfortable and stable.
- The top layer is made of a breathable organic coating which is also odor-resistant, destroying odor-causing bacteria.
- The high arch contour of the insole is achieved by a high-density foam layer for a firm support structure, reducing stress on your arches, heels, and ankles.
- A stabilizer cap at the base of the insole contributes to keeping your feet stable in your shoes, providing balance and stability to your stride.
- A deep heel cup helps you to control pronation and walk with a perfect alignment.
- Here are a pair of insoles that are made for those with extremely high arches, offering a 3.3 inch arch support contours.
- Soft EVA foam is adaptable and fully capable of cushioning your high arches, alleviate pressure and keep your feet comfortable all day long.
- The heel cup is very deep, allowing for maximum stability on your feet as well as inside your shoes.
- A nylon plate protects the arch of the foot and the heel of the insole, absorbing shock and keeping your feet safe from any impact.
- The arch contours are not only very steep, but they are fully adaptable, giving your high arches the accurate support they require.
- New Balance insoles for high arches are wonderful for those who naturally are in need of better balance.
- The soft foam arch support is raised and centered to help those with medium to high arches.
- A rigid base made of latex is there to prevent slipping and sliding in your shoes.
- This insole comes with a moderately deep heel cup, which is useful for those with high arches who are suffering from Achilles tendonitis.
- Shock pads on the underside of the insole work to specifically protect the ball of the foot and heel of the foot from the impact force of walking or running.
- This dual layer insole is perfect for those with medium or high arches, being made of highly adaptable cork.
- The two-piece support system of these insoles is made uniquely for sports shoes, making them ideal for athletes or those who are on their feet all day.
- Cork is a natural substance that will mold itself to the precise shape of your feet over time, making for a pair of highly durable and exceptionally comfortable insoles.
- Breathe easily in your shoes with the right support for your arches, as Cork is a naturally breathable, ultra absorbent substance – keep your feet dry all day long!
- The top layer is made from very impressionable memory foam, holding a unique imprint of your exact arch shape as you play on the field.
- The heel is aligned to keep your feet balanced, stable and in proper alignment.
- Another brilliant insole for high arches from Sof Sole, these insole will cushion your feet from heel to toe.
- Made a bit wider than a usual insole with a very deep heel cup, those with bigger feet that have high arches will benefit from this insole tremendously.
- The arch support is designed for high arches, giving a firm, rigid support as well as much deserved pressure relief.
- The gel drop in the back of the heel directs force away from the heel of the foot, aiding your stride in both casual and athletic activities.
Comparison Table: Best Insoles for High Arches
|1||Superfeet Unisex High Arch Insole - Foot Supportive Insoles for High Arches||Superfeet||97|
|2||Sof Sole Unisex High Arch Performance Insole - Steep Protection Insoles for High Arches||Sof Sole||95|
|3||New Balance Unisex Arch Cushion Insole - Deep Seated Insoles for High Arched Feet||New Balance||96|
|4||Birkenstock Unisex Natural Cork Insoles - Cork Cushion Insoles for High Arches||Birkenstock||95|
|5||Sof Sole Unisex Enhanced Height Insole - Enhanced Protection High Arch Insoles||Sof Sole||97|
Table of Contents
- What Causes a High Foot Arch?
- High Arch Foot Pain Relief and Treatment
- The Best Insole Features for High Arches
- Reviews: Top Insoles for High Arches
- Superfeet Unisex High Arch Insole Foot Supportive Insoles for High Arches
- Sof Sole Unisex High Arch Performance Insole Steep Protection Insoles for High Arches
- New Balance Unisex Arch Cushion Insole Deep Seated Insoles for High Arched Feet
- Birkenstock Unisex Natural Cork Insoles Cork Cushion Insoles for High Arches
- Sof Sole Unisex Enhanced Height Insole Enhanced Protection High Arch Insoles
- Comparison Table: Best Insoles for High Arches