Sesamoiditis is a condition commonly affecting your forefoot and is more likely in younger individuals who engage in physical activities, such as dancing and running.
The most common symptom of Sesamoiditis is a pain under the joint of your big toe.
Sesamoiditis and its Symptoms
In most cases, Sesamoiditis is an overuse injury, which leads to chronic inflammation in your sesamoid bones and tendons involved in these bone’s structures.
Increased pressure on your sesamoids from either physical activity or repetitive movement, results in a dull, and longstanding pain right beneath your big toe joint. The pain will come and go, usually becoming worse when you wear certain shoes or perform certain types of activities.
The term Sesamoiditis is just a general description for any irritation, pain or inflammation in your Sesamoiditis bones and tendons, which are the small bones and tendons that run to your big toe.
Some cause include;
Gradual Onset – Sesamoiditis has a distinctive gradual onset which basically separates its symptoms from that of many other similar foot conditions, The pain will start off as a mild case, and increase gradually, particularly with certain activities, this may build up to intense throbbing pain.
Activities – One of your major causes of Sesamoiditis is an increase in activity or repetitive movement in a certain activity that forces you to place more pressure on the balls of your feet.
Running – When running, speed work, hill work, and increased mileage can be a cause, wears dancing such as ballet on your toes and balls of your feet are likewise, culprits.
Foot Type – Similarly, individuals with very bony feet and no fat to protect the sesamoids are more likely to develop this condition. When you have a high arched foot and tend to run on the balls of your feet, you may also develop Sesamoiditis somewhere along the line.
There are a few treatments available for Sesamoiditis that are not surgical;
- You can place a pad in your shoe to cushion the inflamed area, you’re you can strap or tape your forefoot to relieve tension.
- Immobilization in severe cases is necessary and you may need a cast on that area of the foot.
- Physical therapy such as certain exercises to strengthen and condition, as well as ultrasound therapy, may help.
- Steroid injections can be used in some cases to reduce pain and inflammation.
- An orthotic device such as an insole may help with the long-term treatment of Sesamoiditis, and aid in balancing the pressure placed on the ball of the foot.
Insoles for Sesamoiditis
- Pad – The best insole type for Sesamoiditis is a metatarsal pad or a ball of the foot pad, which may be purchased by themselves or may already be built into an insole.
Gel – Gel materials for the insole, as well as a top anti-microbial layer, are your best options as you want the best cushioning and shock absorbency for the balls of your feet when it comes to Sesamoiditis.
Reviews: Best Insoles for Sesamoiditis
The Pedag Leather Insole is a 3//4 length insole that is well cushioned and supports your metatarsal area ideally to protect the ball of the foot.
- A ¾ footbed that is amply cushioned for metatarsal support.
- It is manufactured from tanned vegetable leather with no petroleum based, only water-based adhesives.
- An extra soft heel padding.
- Ideal for running, walking, dancing, Golfing and standing all day.
- Offers excellent pain relief for Sesamoiditis, and Metatarsalgia.
SofSole is a well-known name brand in insoles, and I must say the name says it all. These insoles offer soft and supportive cushioned comfort for the entire foot with additional gel in the forefoot area.
- A flat cushioned insole ideal for athletic, casual and boot type shoes.
- The full-length footbed ensures full foot relief and comfort.
- An encapsulated heel chamber for stability and motion control.
- The dynamic forefoot gel cushioning is perfect for conditions such as Sesamoiditis and Metatarsalgia.
- CoolMax top cover to keep your feet dry and fresh all day.
- A slim design that fits all athletic shoes.
- The base is manufactured from cushioned and durable polyurethane.
Another highly sought after name in comfort and supportive insoles are Powerstep. With the Pinnacle Plus, you are ensured excellent stability and firm support to prevent Sesamoiditis from developing or being further aggravated.
- Manufactured from durable and supportive EVA with an anti-microbial polyester top layer.
- Offers firmer arch support and better stability.
- You can trim the edges to get the perfect fit for your shoe of choice.
- A slightly angled heel exterior platform for targeted and controlled cushioning.
A two-piece metatarsal pad set for quick and effective pain relief, Dr. Frederick’s original offers you excellent forefoot cushioning and shock absorbency.
- Eliminates pressure from key areas on your feet such as the ball of the feet.
- The gel spreads pressure evenly to ease the pain.
- High-quality gel cushioning that offers instant pain relief.
- The insole adjusts to the size and width of your feet automatically.
The best insoles for Sesamoiditis as we have affirmed, are of course metatarsal pads or ball of the foot cushions. Brison offers you exactly that, breathable and cushioned Gel pads for the ball of your feet.
- Soft Gel pads with many air holes for extra ventilation to reduce swelling, pain, and discomfort.
- Very comfortable and amply cushioned with an ergonomic design that will not slip.
- Anti-Microbial top layer with odor control.
- Reduces pressure on the forefoot and excellent for other conditions such as Morton Neuroma, Metatarsalgia, Bunions, Plantar Fasciitis, Blisters, and Calluses.
- It is manufactured from premium quality medical grade materials for superb cushioning and pain relief.
- Will fit all types of shoes with a safe and odor-free glue at the bottom, to keep it securely in place.
The Hydrofeet insole offers superb massaging and therapeutic relief ideal for sesamoiditis sufferers.
- This product protects against strain experienced in the feet, heels, knees, and back by ensuring proper foot support.
- Made from FDA approved Glycerine Gel for maximum comfort and support.
- Massaging and orthotic design that is anti-microbial and antibacterial.
- Ensure better circulation and cushions your feet from shock and impact.
Luxury orthopedic insoles for pain and discomfort relief from Corefit.
- These insoles are designed to mold to the shape of your feet to give you customizable support.
- Exceptional cushioning and shock absorbency.
- Suitable to provide pain relief from the symptoms of a range of foot conditions including Sesamoiditis.
- Durable and long lasting made from quality materials.
- Sold to and endorsed by podiatrists and foot doctors in the US.
Superfeet is a well-known brand of insoles that is one of your best options for foot conditions such as Sesamoiditis.
- Manufactured from high-density closed-cell foam, that supports and cushions the foot fully, for long-lasting comfort and pain relief.
- Good medium to flat arch support.
- Fita almost all types of footwear easily.
- Has a natural NXT anti-bacterial coating to prevent sweat and odors.
- Vegan and latex-free making it hypoallergenic to most individuals.
Some Care guidelines on Sesamoiditis
When it comes to Sesamoiditis, there are a few steps you can take in prevention, and treatment, besides insoles;
- Avoid narrow shoes at all costs.
- Always use metatarsal pads, a ball of foot pads or insoles when you walk, run or perform other activities.
- Avoid high, especially pointy high heels, they are bad for your feet in any situation.
- Change up activities and exercise routines that place too much pressure on the balls of your feet.
- A warm soak in some soothing bath salts will help ease pain and inflammation.
Index Table: Top Rated Insoles for Sesamoiditis
|1||Pedag Unisex Leather - Comfort Insoles for Sesamoiditis||Pedag||97|
|2||SofSole Unisex Air Performance - Sesamoiditis Insoles for Flat Feet||SofSole||99|
|3||Powerstep Unisex Pinnacle Plus - Orthotic Sesamoiditis Insoles||Powerstep||98|
|4||Dr. Frederick’s Unisex Original - Metatarsal Pads for Sesamoiditis||Dr. Frederick’s||95|
|5||Brison Unisex Metatarsal Pads - Sesamoiditis Relief Insoles||Brison||98|
|6||Hydrofeet Unisex Liquid Gel Orthotic - Gel Orthotic Insoles for Sesamoiditis||Hydrofeet||95|
|7||Corefit Unisex Podiatrist Grade Orthotic - Specialized Podiatrist Endorsed Insoles for Sesamoiditis||Corefit||95|
|8||Superfeet Unisex Blue - Orthotic Insert for Sesamoiditis||Superfeet||97|
Please Rate This Article:
Table of Contents
- Sesamoiditis and its Symptoms
- Sesamoiditis Treatments
- Insoles for Sesamoiditis
- Reviews: Best Insoles for Sesamoiditis
- Pedag Unisex Leather Comfort Insoles for Sesamoiditis
- SofSole Unisex Air Performance Sesamoiditis Insoles for Flat Feet
- Powerstep Unisex Pinnacle Plus Orthotic Sesamoiditis Insoles
- Dr. Frederick’s Unisex Original Metatarsal Pads for Sesamoiditis
- Brison Unisex Metatarsal Pads Sesamoiditis Relief Insoles
- Hydrofeet Unisex Liquid Gel Orthotic Gel Orthotic Insoles for Sesamoiditis
- Corefit Unisex Podiatrist Grade Orthotic Specialized Podiatrist Endorsed Insoles for Sesamoiditis
- Superfeet Unisex Blue Orthotic Insert for Sesamoiditis
- Some Care guidelines on Sesamoiditis
- Index Table: Top Rated Insoles for Sesamoiditis