If you experience pain in the ball of the foot when walking, you can take comfort in understanding that you are not alone. Ball of foot pain is a very common occurrence and something that can usually be remedied if you know what to look for.
What Causes Ball of Foot Pain?
The ball of the foot is the area in the front of your foot, which connects your toes to the arches in your feet. Pain in this area is most commonly derived from swelling, due to misaligned posture while walking. When we walk on our feet, most of us exert our weights first on the heel of the foot before transferring our weight to the ball of the foot. If this process is misaligned in any way, one can experience ball or heel of foot pain. Aging, over or under supination, standing on one’s feet all day, pulling a muscle in the foot or any activities that exert our feet can cause the ball of foot pain.
Sometimes the ball of foot pain can be felt under the big toe. However, it is usually located just before. Further symptoms of the ball of foot pain include frequently occurring pain or inflammation in the ball of the foot. You may also begin to see calluses or odd occurrences in your skin coupled with this pain in that area. If you are obese, have high arches, arthritis or wear high heels a lot, you may also experience ball of foot pain.
Ball of Foot Pain Relief & Prevention
If you suffer from ball of foot pain due to high arches or abnormal pressure in the foot due to a medical condition (such as arthritis), it is then highly advisable to purchase orthopedic insoles. Insoles that are specially designed for providing pain relief for a ball of foot pain take the pressure off that area of the foot, usually providing shock absorption and separating the long bones in the arch of the foot.
Ultimately leading a healthy lifestyle, eating correctly, maintaining a healthy weight distribution and keeping a good posture will minimize or even entirely prevent ball of foot pain. High heels are one of the leading contributors towards the ball of foot pain. Limiting high heel usage or wearing shoes that increase your height while not compromising the ball of your foot will help to lessen the risk of a ball of foot pain. Athletes or those who love to exercise should purchase a pair of shoe inserts that distribute their weight evenly and absorb shock, as their feet will endure high amounts of impact when on the move. If you have experienced prolonged ball of foot pain and nothing appears to be making a difference, you should contact your nearest foot doctor for assistance.
Best Characteristics of Insoles for Ball of Foot Pain
Here we have a list of the top 5 characteristics found in the best insoles for a ball of foot pain:
- Shock Absorbing Technology – make sure that the insole for your ball of foot pain can at least absorb a decent amount of shock, protecting the sensitive swollen area.
- Pressure Point Relief – some insoles provide bumps or are shaped to alleviate pressure points on the feet, which can help ball of foot pain, especially if caused by standing on your feet all day long.
- Pressure Transference – ball of foot pain relief insoles should transfer the weight away from the ball of the foot. This transference is achieved by separating the long bones and padding underneath the ball of the foot.
- Lift – having some lift underneath the ball of the foot can provide a layer of padding, protection, and comfort. A Lift also can help you to walk on your feet, allowing the ball of the foot to experience less pressure when you lift off the ground.
- Memory Foam – Memory Foam is one of the best materials that orthopedic insoles are currently being produced from. Memory foam can keep the exact contour of your feet, helping you to keep perfect posture and minimizing pressure on the feet exerted from your weight.
Reviews: Best Insoles for Ball of Foot Pain
For those of you who suffer from ball of foot pain or who wear high heels frequently, you may be interested in our selection of insoles for a ball of foot pain relief.
- These very simplistic gel pads offer more protection and support than they appear to.
- Walk around comfortably in your shoes while protecting your metatarsals and the balls of your feet.
- These shoe insoles are specially designed for the ball of the foot and are re-usable.
- If you purchase these inserts, they will last you a very long time.
- The inserts, being made from a gel material, will stay in place inside your shoe and have a good grip.
- Protect your calluses with the extra thickness of having these pads under your feet, which also absorb shock as you walk.
- These shoe inserts double as a full foot orthotic, supporting good posture as well as protecting the ball of foot area.
- Have full control over the way you walk with these insoles comfortably snug inside your shoes.
- The foam that these insoles are made from will conform to the contour of your foot, making sure you feel comfortable in any shoe you wear them in.
- The material on the top of the insole is breathable and allows air to ventilate inside your shoes.
- The shoe insert is thick, providing you with optimal impact protection and shock absorption.
- This minimal foot pad is all one really needs to redirect shock away from the ball of the foot area.
- The foot pad provides some extra lift, directing the pressure off your toes and the ball of the foot.
- Dr. Scholl’s Pain Relief Orthotics are a very popular choice amongst those who stand on their feet the entire day.
- The gel inside the insert provides extra comfort and ensures that you reduce the impact in your stride with each step you take.
- This product has been clinically tested and proven to lessen ball of foot pain.
- This gel foot pad covers your entire front foot area, protecting your toes as well as the ball of the foot.
- The ergonomic design ensures that pressure points in the front of the feet are alleviated when you stand on them.
- Many happy customers have remarked how this pad provides an instantaneous ball of foot pain relief!
- As this shoe insole is made from gel, it can accommodate most feet sizes and is versatile.
- Wear your shoes all day without painful aches or calluses.
- Protect your feet from wear and tear with the shock absorbent properties this product has to offer.
- This foot pad, which is engineered especially for sore and aching feet, rests under the ball of the foot and extends a little way under the arch of the foot.
- This simple insert is a sophisticated orthotic that redirects all pressure away from your metatarsals, significantly improving ball of foot pain.
- Add an extra boost to your stride with the slight lift this insert provides.
- This product comes inclusive with six pairs of these foot pads.
- Ideal for all shoe and foot types to use.
- These metatarsal shoe insoles are made to lift your toes up and shift all the pressure off the ball of your foot.
- The insoles will help to absorb shock, providing lift and an additional protective layer.
- Add extra flair to your life by being able to wear the shoes you love, day in, day out.
- These shoe pads are made to stick in your shoes and will hold your foot in place.
- Available in a variety of colors and patterns for high heels, running shoes, and work shoes.
- Ideal for individuals who have arthritis, diabetes, tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, neuroma and forefoot/ball of foot pain.
Comparison Table: Insoles for Ball of Foot Pain
|1||Vill Unisex Metatarsal Pads - Ball of Foot Protective Gel Shoe Insoles||Vill||97|
|2||Orthaheel Unisex Slimfit Shoe Insoles - Ball of Foot Pain Relief Orthotic Foam Insert||Orthaheel||95|
|3||Dr. Scholl’s Unisex Pain Relief Shoe Pad - Gel Shoe Insole for Ball of Foot Protection||Dr. Scholl’s||89|
|4||Dr. Frederick’s Original Unisex Ball of Foot Cushions - Front Ball of Foot Gel Protection Insole||Dr. Frederick’s Original||96|
|5||Langer Biomechanics Group Unisex Pain Relief Insoles - Metatarsal Ball of Foot Pain Relief Shoe Pads||Langer Biomechanics Group||98|
|6||Bringsine Unisex Funky Foot Pads - Stylised Shoe Insoles for Ball of Foot Pain||Bringsine||91|
Table of Contents
- What Causes Ball of Foot Pain?
- Ball of Foot Pain Relief & Prevention
- Best Characteristics of Insoles for Ball of Foot Pain
- Reviews: Best Insoles for Ball of Foot Pain
- Vill Unisex Metatarsal Pads Ball of Foot Protective Gel Shoe Insoles
- Orthaheel Unisex Slimfit Shoe Insoles Ball of Foot Pain Relief Orthotic Foam Insert
- Dr. Scholl’s Unisex Pain Relief Shoe Pad Gel Shoe Insole for Ball of Foot Protection
- Dr. Frederick’s Original Unisex Ball of Foot Cushions Front Ball of Foot Gel Protection Insole
- Langer Biomechanics Group Unisex Pain Relief Insoles Metatarsal Ball of Foot Pain Relief Shoe Pads
- Bringsine Unisex Funky Foot Pads Stylised Shoe Insoles for Ball of Foot Pain
- Comparison Table: Insoles for Ball of Foot Pain